The UNAVI folks are great. Very responsive, quick install, ready to answer any questions. Took the time to walk me through the operation of the unit.
Only slightly annoyed that it takes a bit of learning to bounce back and forth between the OEM system and CarPlay. If I change temperature I can’t see it, if I want to go from radio to Spotify I have to change the audio source and then also hold the back button, it’s slightly wonky but I suspect that’s the best that can be done.
Would still recommend it - I can live with those issues for the opportunity to at least have something Infiniti should have installed standard.
Had mine for about 2 weeks now It’s awesome it worked better than I thought it’s given my luxury car luxury tech and The customer service for me was A1 for me
I called several shops in my area and even this multiple hours away listed as installers. No one will touch it. Very disappointed they don’t have a better more up to date install database. Will keep looking but not very hopeful will be able to make it work.
Hello, sorry you are having a hard time finding a shop. We will look into this further and see if we can assist you and find a shop close by to get your CarPlay installed. We will be in contact with you soon. Thank you for your patience. Have a great day!!!
I’ll Like to know if this system is wireless
Hello, our system is wired through USB cable. We found that the wireless connection is unstable and creates lag and CarPlay/Android Auto use all the phones resources, CPU, sensors, etc., it drains the battery really fast and you would have to plug the phone in anyway. Thank you for you question and have a great day!!
I drive a 2019 Infiniti but would look at my friend's 2017 Hyundai Elantra with envy. Because her car has CarPlay. Infiniti introduced CarPlay on the 2020 models. Leaving the rest of us Infiniti drivers, with the worst infotainment system ever, INTOUCH!!! No music app available... no apps at all... besides 2 useless app.
Google searches I found Unavi. So, I figure a $650 upgrade was much better than a $35k or so new car. So, gave it a try. Here are the good, the bad, and the Meh. I will be as objective as possible:
1. CarPlay in our car!!!
2. Install guys at main office. They did a great job. I made a couple of requests (mods) to the install. The first being, I do not have a Bose system… so, I had them reroute the external speak to the center speaker location. Since there was not center speaker, this would be a perfect location and get better sound. (Note to installer – rotated speaker on its side and fits perfectly… Note to world - further explanation with be in the Meh section). Second mod was to the AUX output USB wire. I had them reroute, so USB came through bottom of coin tray. This allows the door to close. (Again, further explanation will be in the Meh section).
3. There is an EQ to fine tune CarPlay sound.
4. Did I mention CarPlay!!!
To understand the Bad, I must explain how the system works. It is a separated audio source that "borrows" the cars LCD for user interface. And a couple of buttons are repurposed with secondary functions. (i.e., the "hang up" phone button switches CarPlay on and off. But still hangs up the phone when on a call. The back button on the selector knob, long hold switches the system on and off.
So now the bad:
1. When you are in CarPlay, the selector knob is still active (we cannot see what it is doing, because CarPlay is "borrowing" the screen. You must make a mental note; not to use the selector knob when in CarPlay mode. There are somethings that do work with CarPlay... dimmer button, back button and phone button.
2. Phone calls must handle through Bluetooth, not CarPlay. Must press the steering wheel button and do not get temped to press the incoming call on CarPlay. I press it and the person on the other side will heard themselves as an echo.
3. If music was playing on phone, it will continue CarPlay. This would seem like a plus, but if you have not selected “iPod” on InTouch system, music will play through external speaker. So, radio will play on car stereo and phone will play through external speaker at the same time. Annoying! I just clear all apps on phone… this solves issue.
1. As mention before, this is a separate system that borrows your cars screen. So, any audio source selected beside ‘iPod” will make the audio sound come through the external speaker. This speaker is loud enough to hear on surface streets with moderate music. But at freeway speeds the speaker get drowned out. Must switch to iPhone music source and audio lowers for voice prompts.
2. As mention above; it is not advisable to use the CarPlay phone. Use the car’s Bluetooth connections.
3. As mention above; Must clear the phone music, otherwise it will continue to play on external speaker when connected.
4. QX30 does not have an AUX input. So then use a USB adapter to 3.5mm plug. This renders all music button useless. Skip and back does not work. But on the steering wheel the does work. Next version of this, they should have the audio output mimic the iPod. This way none of the car’s functions will be lost.
I may seem like I am being harsh. CarPlay stands on it own. I did not want to go over the glories of CarPlay. Some people are picky. I am not. There was a slight learning curve. Interesting enough, I got a 2020 Q50 loaner. The CarPlay felt no different than this. The only difference was just a little more integration of buttons… but still felt like an afterthought.
Would I do it again…? The pluses of CarPlay outweighs the minuses of this implementation. So, Yes…
Apple CarPlay was the only thing that I wanted for my q50, and I have been looking for aftermarket applecarplay for about an year. As being a Korean, I knew that UNAVI is the official Infiniti Korea partner, which made their product much more reliable. The product is great, works great, even much better than I expected. Everything works fine, and I am super satisfied. Anyone who is considering this product should get it.
Finally got my Unavi system installed today. After a few delays in the installation, Unavi customer service took care of me and couldn’t be happier with it. Works as expected. Worth the wait.
We have dealt with and successfully used UNAVi products for many years. This one was no different- installation went flawlessly and everything, as expected, works as it should !
Product was functioning as expected, after we had to pull Sd card, reformat so Touch screen would function. Besides that situation, the product was great. Thank You
When I got my 2018 Q50. I was disappointed to not have CarPlay. Then I found the Unavi CarPlay. I had seen others but they didn’t meet my needs. The Unavi is AMAZING don’t think about just do it. You will not regret it.
Not a bad upgrade but finding an installer is problematic
Sorry you are having issues with finding an installer, please give us a call so we can assist you @ 855-558-6284. We can contact an installer and prepare them for your install and assist them with any questions they might have throughout the process. We provide the professional install manual and tech support as well. Thank you for using Unavi CarPlay and would like to help you in any way we can to get you going with the state of the art technology you have come to rely on and expect.
Tried scheduling an install appointment the day I received the product. Still don’t have an appointment. Install company on website does not know how to install product so they said I have to wait until January when they can get training. So bummed not going to have in time for Christmas.
I'm sorry installation appointment is taking longer than expected. We will get in contact with our dealer(s) in your area so that we can deliver a more prompt install appointment. Thank you for your patience and Merry Christmas!
Great customer service
Super happy with this new feature added to my Q50. Techs were very professional and did an amazing job!! Highly recommend, you won't regret it!! Thank you!!
Hi Steve. I had one of your INFINITI Carolyn systems installed in my 2017 Q60 the week you guys finally released to the public. I had the install done at your Tustin offices. I wanted you to know I love my system, and can't imagine living without it these days.
Anyways, I wanted do let you know that you will be being contacted by Jill, the service manager at INFINITI/VOLVO Cathedral City (Palm Springs). She has had quite a few customers with interest in a set up like yours. She saw my install today, and immediately asked for your contact info. So be on the lookout for contact from Jill Houska, General Service Manager INFINITI Palm Springs. She is amazing, so please do what you do best, and impress her with your product. Thank you again
Purchased the update module to add Car Play/Android Auto to our 2019 Infiniti QX50. Unfortunately Infiniti didn't add that option until the 2020 model year. This is an update, not a replacement, so it retains the original screen and all original functions (automatic camera views, steering control integration, etc.) and adds Car Play and Android Auto. The installation manual was very thorough, and the biggest challenge for our installer was the car itself, not the Unavi module. The installer also routed the USB cable through the covered center console storage and I added a 90-degree USB adapter (see photos) from Amazon to allow us to close the cover while still leaving the phone cable plugged in. The module uses the iPod input to connect the phone to the stereo system so you retain the original factory options (e.g. satellite, FM, etc.) if you wish to use those. You can even use the original navigation in case you miss the 1990s-era GPS experience. Unfortunately the USB adapter blocks the second USB port, but there is an additional charging port in the large storage compartment. The cover provides a stable place to leave the phone while driving, so I consider it worth the trade-off.
It's not a 100% seamless integration (steering console display shows "iPad" and doesn't have track information, reverse camera will give a brief glimpse of the original OEM navigation before switching back to CP/AA), but given that we were able to keep the original equipment and integrations, and that there really isn't any other option, this is an excellent option to add iPhone or Android features to the QX50.
Great update to my infinity Q50! The employees were super helpful! Highly recommend.
I had a great experience meeting everybody and they did a wonderful job on updating my Infiniti QX30. Love my Apple play and new dash cam !
My dream comes true! My 2018 Infinity Q70 now has Apple CarPlay. I bought Apple CarPlay for INFINITI Q70 | Android Auto Update Module and installed it by myself on my car. It took me about 2 hours. Unavi provided me an Installation Manual for Professional but I used it successfully by following step by step. The video on their YouTube also is useful.